Old 31-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Elaine T

Dsybok wrote:
When I rented I built an above ground pond on a concrete patio, using a pre
formed rubber liner, and pre made concrete landscaping blocks, commonly used
to make a decorative block wall out of. I braced the areas of the pre formed
pond that would sag from lack of support with wood bracing and it worked
well for a couple years. It came down in an hour when I was ready to move.

When I bought a house I used the landscaping blocks to form the basis of a
short wall to enclose the 700 gallon pond I eventually dug.

Why no electricity? You cant run a cord out there? Even if you stuck a
cannister filter in a protected spot on an extension cord it would be better
than nothing I think. Honestly I stuck a Magnum on an extension cord , hid
it under the rocks in a spot where I could get at it covered by slate tiles.
Worked fine for the volume (100 gallons).

Good luck

I'm replying to everyone in this message rather than type a bunch of
short ones. Such wonderful suggestions. I had never heard of rosey red
minnows, and they look much better for the size pond I'm thinking about.

George, your pond built from fencing posts looks beautiful. I'm not
sure whether I could manage that project or not - I'd definately have to
get some new drill bits and I'm not sure how to cut the rods. A
hacksaw, I suppose. It would be a challenge for me. I understand what
you're saying about the problems with 2x12s and bowing, though. I
hadn't thought about the wood getting wet - that's why I'm here.

I also hadn't thought of wood bracing under those preformed ponds. The
reason I was thinking of a stock tank is because they're freestanding.
I'll have to look at what's available for preformed ones because the
plant shelves and such would be really nice.

As for no electricity, the only way to run an extension cord would be to
leave a window ajar. I'm not crazy about doing that because then I
couldn't lock it. I think unfiltered will be fine, especially now that
I know about little minnows.

Lots of new ideas to mull over.

--
__ Elaine T __