Old 31-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Sacha

On 31/1/05 16:41, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
"Instep" writes:
| Can anyone help with whitefly eradication?
|
| I have asked in the past, and was given a tip to soak nettles in a bucket
| and spray with the liquid, but this has not worked.
|
| I can use Provado on the flower plants, but not tomato plants etc. in the
| greenhouse.
|
| It is getting a bit desperate.

If you stop using toxic chemicals, and spray with soft soap or
washing up liquid and methylated spirits only, you will be able
to introduce Encarsia formosa in a couple of months. It keeps
whitefly under control very well.

I must agree with Nick wholeheartedly. We use biological controls here and
my husband's family used to grow toms, lettuce and cucumbers commercially in
his youth, during which time he was one of the pioneers in its use. While
we do get the occasional infestation of whitefly, the Encarsia deals with it
well and quickly. But it is terribly important not to use any chemicals of
any sort before introducing it or while using it, or you will kill the
predators. There are several sites on the internet which sell biological
controls to the amateur gardener and I hope very much that you'll start
using it soon and keep it going until it works and continues to work.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk