Old 31-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Robert

"sahara" wrote in message
om...
: Please help me with very specific instructions for growing potatoes in
: a compost bag.
: I bought for a friend two Mimi and two Charlotte from Ryton Potato day
: yesterday. They are for a friend who wants to grow them in a bag of
: compost and she has lots of questions. Such as.
: How many should i put the bag?
: How long should they be chitted for?
: When should i put them in the bag?
: How will i know that they are ready?
: any other information would be great. Please assume that i have no
: knowledge whatsoever on potato growing.
: thanks,
: sarah x

Never grown them in a bag but if I imagine you are using a large 1/2 cwt
type bag of compost placed horizontally you could put two or even three at a
push. They potatoes should be set out in a light cool but frost free room to
chit, I.e. grow strong shoots. When these are an inch or so long carefully
trowel them into holes you have made, and don't forget shoots need to find
the hole so it mustn't be too small. Keep them moist but not overwatered and
usually earlies are ready about 12 weeks after planting but you can always
have a gentle feel around the compost to see if they are big enough. When
the haulm, the top, starts to die they are ready. I think you may have more
success with a large tub but you can only try it and see. Be careful that
your plants are not out in any late frosts without a bit of fleece or
newspaper over them