Old 31-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
In article ,
jane wrote:
~
~Well, they may be, but not for that reason. Such roots don't last
~long even in a 'cold' composting process, because they have to either
~grow or die - and there isn't enough light (and often not enough air)
~to grow. Also, when they do sprout, the new growth is very susceptible
~to attack by bacteria and fungi.

er, I think it *can* survive
http://www.compost.me.uk/html/japanese_knotweed.html

"The results of the study suggest that for regeneration to be
prevented a temperature greater than 55oC needs to be maintained in
the compost, for at least one week."

Anyone who expects to produce compost from unsorted but compostable
household and garden waste in a week clearly believes in fairy
godmothers.

The claim above doesn't say one week at 55 degrees is long enough to
create compost. It says that one week of sustained 55 degrees in the
compost process, will ensure JK plant-parts can't regenerate.

I never said anything else. I was pointing out that the converse is
NOT the case - i.e. it is NOT generally true that they CAN survive
composting, for the reasons I explained. A week at 55 Celcius is
sufficient but not necessary.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.