Old 31-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Scooter the Mighty

Michael Cameron wrote:
Hi there,

This is my first post, so we'll see how this goes.

I want to start some seeds, but I am concerned about the sprouts

damping off
and dying on me. Is there something I can do to help avoid this? The

seeds
I am going to plant a

Wisteria sinensis (Chinese Wisteria), and Wisteria sinensis Alba

(White
Wisteria). I think they look beautiful and would really like to try
growing them. Are there any special instructions that apply to

treating
the seeds to get them to germinate?

I know starting from seeds is a slow process, that's fine. I have 2

other
trees that I have growing, and 2 cuttings I'm taking this spring.

Thanks for any advice you could provide.
Happy Bonsai, from Loretto (north of Toronto), Ontario, Canada.

I had good growing Wisteria from seeds. What I did was roll up some
filter paper with the seeds between the layers, and stick one end of it
into a narrow tube of water. After a good root shot out of it, I
planted it in dirt.

I can't tell you how a Wisteria will do in your climate. I've heard
that they don't flower for around 5 years after you plant them, so plan
on being patient.