Old 01-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Katra

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
wronp wrote:

GoatDaddy wrote:
I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

I have watched everyones suggestions as I too have a large area that I'd
like to block out with a hedge. I like the idea of Mountain Laurels and
yaupons but they are too expensive for such a large run of hedge and
they are also slow growers.

I was thinking of Wax Myrtle, AKA Bayberry. However, I don't know if it
is a fast growing plant or not. Can it be started from a cutting? If so
how would one go about it?

-pokey

Okay, here is the local tree that I have. I did some searching and I'm
reasonably sure it is the correct species:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...m_lucidum.html

Beautiful, fast growing and native, as well as being evergreen (they do
not drop their leaves in the winter!), they require little water or care
(except for desired trimming and shaping) and are a beautiful tree or if
pruned, I've seen them used as hedges in this area. Due to their habit
of throwing numerous "sucker" branches off the base of the tree, they
will get very bushy if trained into a hedge.

I have thousands of seeds at the moment, and they come up all over my
yard in the spring. Any that survive get dug up and potted as I'm
planning on a good hedge on one side where I have some undesirable
neighbors. I also want to plant more up front for privacy.

Kat

Quick followup, I read their soil requirements and what a joke!

These trees are thriving with NO care, (they were here when I moved in
and are HUGE) and they are growing in the typical texas un-ammended
soil. Caliche and lots of limestone rock. Typical hill country soil and
I never water them. The ones out back just get whatever rainfall comes
in.

The ones in the pots however, get water thrown at them when I think
about it, or when we run the sprinkler in the summer to water the
gardens.

The ones growing on the front fenceline never get watered either. ;-)
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain