Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0600, Katra
wrote: (snipped by jrm)

Okay, here is the local tree that I have. I did some searching and I'm
reasonably sure it is the correct species:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...m_lucidum.html

Beautiful, fast growing and native,

These trees are thriving with NO care, (they were here when I moved in
and are HUGE) and they are growing in the typical texas un-ammended
soil. Caliche and lots of limestone rock. Typical hill country soil and
I never water them. The ones out back just get whatever rainfall comes
in.

All the Ligustrums are non-native and several species are very
invasive and/or noxious species. What you have described - a plant
requiring no care that spreads rapidly is a good example of a species
that is adapted to an area and capable of disrupting native plant
communities.

Ligustrums fall into the same category as Chinese tallow, Chinaberry,
Japanese honeysuckle, etc., horticultural plants that should be
avoided in proximity to natural areas.

Rusty Mase