Old 01-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Theo

Douglas Taylor wrote:

I did a talk for our local club on bonsai Winter care,

in between nervous, sputtering and stammering,

to make to point of not watering while root ball is frozen.

I asked them to visualize a glass full of ice cubes

then visualize pouring water or other adult beverage in it.

What do you hear? Crack, Crack, Pop, Crack, pop,maybe,

phisss, then I asked them, do you think it is a good

idea to water your trees when frozen?

Thought I would pass along, I don't come up with clever tidbits often.

when the soil is iced tha plant does not absorb water from roots as
water is solid... so I do not see the necessity of watering ..

if you take them inside the branches will wither as continue
evaporation from the thin bark or buds and the roots do not pump
this is why you just have to sit and prey that all will be ok ...
and water them as soon as teh soil will be not iced anymore and if is
not forecasted an ice wave again ...
Mine on a balcony are taken inside for 20 minutes and vaporized with
water on the buds, if necessary , and as soon as they are dry I put them
back outside

MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :