Old 01-02-2005, 10:25 AM
jane

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 19:00:53 +0000, Alan Gould
wrote:

~In article , sahara
writes
~Please help me with very specific instructions for growing potatoes in
~a compost bag.
~I bought for a friend two Mimi and two Charlotte from Ryton Potato day
~yesterday. They are for a friend who wants to grow them in a bag of
~compost and she has lots of questions. Such as.
~How many should i put the bag?
~How long should they be chitted for?
~When should i put them in the bag?
~How will i know that they are ready?
~any other information would be great. Please assume that i have no
~knowledge whatsoever on potato growing.
~thanks,
~sarah x
~

I too bought some Mimi at Ryton to grow in a bag or a tub, mostly cos
I figure I can keep slugs out better that way.

I have a large bag of peat-free multipurpose compost which I'm hoping
will be ideal, as it retains moisture but is more open/well drained
than the peat alternatives. I'm thinking of growing them in buckets!

~Your friend may have a gro-bag in mind, but she would have a better
~chance of success with an 80 litre bag of multi-purpose compost stood on
~end. Slit open the top end and empty about half the compost out to keep
~for subsequent earthing up. About three or four plants would be enough.
~Chit the tubers in darkness until they are about 3-4ins. 7-10cm. long,
~then set them about 6ins. 15cm. deep and press them down. The spare top
~of the bag should be folded down at that stage. Put it in its intended
~growing position because it will be quite heavy when watered. Pant
~timing will depend on the chitting - that has already begun though you
~may not see anything for a while yet. When the first leaves begin to
~show, ensure that the plants have sufficient warmth, light, air and
~moisture, but not an excess of any of those. In new compost, feeding
~should not be necessary. When there is sufficient stem length under the
~bottom leaves, begin earthing up to the leaves with the remainder of the
~compost and continue until the top of the bag is reached. The tiny
~tubers growing under the surface will be edible as soon as they form,
~but wait until the plants are in flower, or a little longer, then put a
~finger down until you find one. If it is the size of an egg or bigger,
~you can use it, then take others as you want them. Once the tops go
~brown and die off, you can have the lot out and store your crop in a dry
~dark place.

For Mimi, if they get to egg size they're way too big! Cherry tomato
size is right. Charlotte is bigger.
I'd chit in light conditions until the sprouts are an inch long, but
otherwise agree on growing conditions. I think you need to check there
are some holes in the bottom of the bag, too, as you don't want
waterlogging. Since the varieties mentioned are both first early, then
you really need to dig up the plant when it flowers, and eat the
tubers as soon as possible!
Monty Don did this a year or so ago on GW and got quite a decent crop.

Good luck!

--
jane

Mark Twain