Old 01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
(jane) writes:
| ~
| ~ The claim above doesn't say one week at 55 degrees is long enough to
| ~create compost. It says that one week of sustained 55 degrees in the
| ~compost process, will ensure JK plant-parts can't regenerate.
|
| Which it doesn't sound like the Welsh process can, sadly. I know we've
| had discussions in urg before on whether commercial composting can
| kill such things: now we know they may not be able to, so I shall make
| a point of never buying anything from the local recycling centre until
| all of them have to be operating to EU guidelines ie hot enough.

Aargh! NO!!!

What I am trying to get across is that ALMOST ANY relevant composting
process will eliminate weed roots, including Japanese knotweed - you
needn't worry about things like that. Much more serious concerns
are resistant spores and seeds, which are NOT necessarily killed by
longer, cooler composting.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.