Old 01-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Mike Lyle

anton wrote:
wrote in message

[snip]

The issue is silver leaf disease but there's no agreement on when

prune to avoid it. Some sites say don't prune in winter, prune

in
May, however other sites say almost the opposite. I found one

site
that said "To avoid silver leaf disease, prune young trees in
winter, mid-December is a good time. For older trees, avoid

pruning
in May and September to October." (What's 'young' and 'old'?)

Vary confusing! I hope I don't start an interminable thread but

would really appreciate some guidance.

Harry Baker's RHs 'fruit' says never prune in winter. Ken Muir's
'Grow your own fruit' says don't prune in the dormant season. A
time-served plum expert I met once said prune in April. I suggest
that you publicise the site that says the opposite.

It's:-

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_...ch_2d_plum.asp

(watch for wrapping, if you don't use Mozilla/Firefox)

It specifically refers to silver leaf disease but gives the months

referred to above.

[...]

Very interesting. He seems to define young trees as three years old
and younger. Mid-December for young trees, and June for established
ones. The instructions are so uncompromising that there must be some
reasoning behind them, but this reasoning he doesn't give, and I
don't get it myself. I've emailed the site to ask.

Mike.