Old 01-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Spider

Nick Maclaren wrote in message

In article ,
"Instep" writes:
| Can anyone help with whitefly eradication?
|
| I have asked in the past, and was given a tip to soak nettles in a

bucket
| and spray with the liquid, but this has not worked.
|
| I can use Provado on the flower plants, but not tomato plants etc. in

the
| greenhouse.
|
| It is getting a bit desperate.

If you stop using toxic chemicals, and spray with soft soap or
washing up liquid and methylated spirits only, you will be able
to introduce Encarsia formosa in a couple of months. It keeps
whitefly under control very well.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Ceasing the use of chemical toxins also includes not smoking in this area!
Perhaps you do not, but I have a neighbour who used to smoke in his lean-to
greenhouse and wondered why he got no help from the spiders. Spiders
produce very good sticky traps for insect catchment.

Gardeners who have electricity wired in to their GH have found that, by
disturbing the whitefly so that they are in the air, they can be sucked up
by a vacuum cleaner. Bob Flowerdew is a keen advocate of this method. It
might be something to try until you can introduce Encarsia.

Spider