Old 01-02-2005, 10:15 PM
John Savage

"r m watkin" writes:
you should replace your strawberry plants after 3 years, as they will not
bear enough fruit to make them worth while keeping. hope this helps you.

While this may be advisable in some instances, or for some species of
berry plants, it is by no means universally true. My Mum has had a very
productive bed of strawberry plants growing for almost 30 years! They are
about as productive today as they were a year after they were planted.
Annual fertilising, good mulching, pruning off the runners, and choosing
the right plants for the soil and climate would seem to be the key.
Perhaps a disease-resistant species is crucial for long-term cropping?