Old 01-02-2005, 09:04 PM
anton

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Use of compost from "mixed" waste

Where catering or household waste contains meat or other products
derived from animals then,
although it may be composted, it may not, currently, be used on land.
The Animal By- Products Order prohibits the use of this mixed compost

on
land where animals (including wild birds) may have access. However,

this
position, is set to change. The draft EU Regulation on Animal By
-Products will allow the use of properly composted mixed waste on all
land except pastural land. We expect this Regulation to come into

force
in the Spring of 2002."

The above quote is not from the url you quote, and I suspect that you've
missed a trick.

Yes, sorry, I'd wandered onto another page dated June 2001 :~}

Please give the source of your quote.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...opics/compost/

Right. So rewind to your original url and you'll find that the composting
and spreading on land of stuff that's been in a kitchen (even a domestic
kitchen, not a commercial one) has been illegal, because of potential
contamination with animal products, since 2001.

The amendments which may change this are in the future as is implicit in
your original url dated 2004.

We are governed by liars that have turned the civil service, who were
formerly merely incompetent, into propagandists for their masters.
Accordingly, any government offering has to read very closely, and the bits
that possibly fooled you a
* the references to 'amended' legislation, without clarity as to whether
this was the original (2001) amendment or the amended amended legislation
(2006?);
*the reference to green waste which suggests broccoli stalks etc to you and
me but actually excludes these if they have been in a kitchen;
and
*'properly composted' which may suggest one thing to you but actually
requires a lot of automated control systems, temperature sensors, and record
keeping.

happy activation-free (cos it's an animal product)composting

--
Anton