Old 01-02-2005, 10:06 PM
Mike Lyle

anton wrote:
"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "anton" contains these words:

Use of compost from "mixed" waste

Where catering or household waste contains meat or other

products
derived from animals then,
although it may be composted, it may not, currently, be used on
land. The Animal By- Products Order prohibits the use of this
mixed compost on land where animals (including wild birds) may
have access. However, this position, is set to change. The draft
EU Regulation on Animal By -Products will allow the use of
properly composted mixed waste on all land except pastural land.
We expect this Regulation to come into force in the Spring of
2002."

The above quote is not from the url you quote, and I suspect that
you've missed a trick.

Yes, sorry, I'd wandered onto another page dated June 2001 :~}

Please give the source of your quote.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/...opics/compost/

Right. So rewind to your original url and you'll find that the
composting and spreading on land of stuff that's been in a kitchen
(even a domestic kitchen, not a commercial one) has been illegal,
because of potential contamination with animal products, since

2001.

The amendments which may change this are in the future as is

implicit
in your original url dated 2004.

We are governed by liars that have turned the civil service, who

were
formerly merely incompetent, into propagandists for their masters.
Accordingly, any government offering has to read very closely, and
the bits that possibly fooled you a
* the references to 'amended' legislation, without clarity as to
whether this was the original (2001) amendment or the amended

amended
legislation (2006?);
*the reference to green waste which suggests broccoli stalks etc to
you and me but actually excludes these if they have been in a

kitchen;
and
*'properly composted' which may suggest one thing to you but

actually
requires a lot of automated control systems, temperature sensors,

and
record keeping.

happy activation-free (cos it's an animal product)composting

Anton, you're just panicking. Time to grow up. They found a fault in
the original legislation, and they're repairing it. You're the man
I'd go to first for advice about fruit trees; but when it comes to
textual analysis, well, if you don't mind, I'll do it myself.

Mike.