Old 01-02-2005, 10:18 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

Anton, you're just panicking. Time to grow up. They found a fault in
the original legislation, and they're repairing it. You're the man
I'd go to first for advice about fruit trees; but when it comes to
textual analysis, well, if you don't mind, I'll do it myself.

However, I am afraid that I must support him about the Civil Service
as an organisation. While there are still some honest and responsible
people in it, I am not sure that there are any in the levels where the
policy is made. There used to be, and there was a time where many
of them were extremely competent, too, but that was in the days when
there was a Scientific Civil Service.

In this case, I don't think that the intent ever was to produce
legislation to ensure safe composting, so much as to adhere to EU
attempts to do that while minimising the amount of effect the new
legislation would have. They got that wrong, which is why it needs
amending to reduce the political impact. I wish that I were wrong.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.