Old 01-02-2005, 11:04 PM
anton

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:

[can't see Mike's post, so replying through yours, Nick]

Anton, you're just panicking.

?? No panic here. I'll continue with my illegal composting methods.

Time to grow up.

Too late for that. I'm just setting the record straight on what the dopey
legislation is, as a large number of people find it hard to believe.

They found a fault in
the original legislation, and they're repairing it.

If that were the full statement of the facts, then I would have no problem.
However, yours is not an accurate short description of what they have done.
A better summary is:

They found a fault in the original legislation, propagandised and
bullshitted to try to conceal this, and they have still not repaired it.

You're the man
I'd go to first for advice about fruit trees;

thank you, but I'm only an enthusiastic amateur. Brogdale and the RHS have
some real fruit experts.

but when it comes to
textual analysis, well, if you don't mind, I'll do
it myself.

Well textually analyse away, old sport, and if you can come up with a
statement of mine that doesn't match the facts then say so and be prepared
to defend your assertion.

However, I am afraid that I must support him about the Civil Service
as an organisation. While there are still some honest and responsible
people in it, I am not sure that there are any in the levels where the
policy is made. There used to be, and there was a time where many
of them were extremely competent, too, but that was in the days when
there was a Scientific Civil Service.

Partial correction accepted, Nick. There are clearly some civil servants
left who are competent, and some who are not politicised, and I shouldn't
have implied that they are all the same.

In this case, I don't think that the intent ever was to produce
legislation to ensure safe composting, so much as to adhere to EU
attempts to do that while minimising the amount of effect the new
legislation would have. They got that wrong, which is why it needs
amending to reduce the political impact. I wish that I were wrong.

I personally think that legislation has no place in domestic composting.
The place of government is to /encourage/ suitable composting methods &
choice of materials.

Commercial composting/ waste management is a different story, in that
legislation is appropriate- but even this is producing a number of farcical
overspends as councils attempt to comply with half-thought-out directives

--
Anton