Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 AM
ned

Keith Hampson wrote:
I have just got 2 bird houses for my garden, can anyone tell me

which
direction to point them in to get the most chance of getting birds

nest in them, my brother has 2 facing north and has had 3 years now
without any birds nesting in them, before that it was hit and miss.

I've got two boxes, one in a tree, one in a (leylandi) hedge, about
8ft high, both facing East and both have been used for the last two
years.
I think the theory is that they get early morning light, are sheltered
from the cold North winds and don't get the hot afternoon sun
streaming in.
Both boxes are in sheltered places away from human activity and away
from the hectic bird table gatherings.
The boxes also need cleaning out annually. They get musty and harbour
mites.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk