Old 02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Hal

On 1 Feb 2005 10:24:42 -0800, "kathy" wrote:

We kept a crawdad in my son's tank with several goldfish and
two bullfrog tadpoles.
The crawdad spent most of his time inside the Skull Island aquarium
toy.
One day we noticed that one of the tadpoles had a nice slice in his
tail. He survived with his new wavier tail. We suspected the crawdad
had clipped him.
Eventually we took the crawdad out and put him in a small habitat so
my son's creative problem solving team could get an up close look at
him. (They made a boy sized costume based on the crawdad.)
Then the crawdad had babies!
We decided the crawdad was a crawmom.

I caught one while living in San Antonio and kept it in an aquarium
with a couple fish bigger than the crayfish and he was constantly
trying to eat them. I saw him get slung off from a rapid take off
after he clamped on a fish's tail a couple times. He was a most
interesting critter to watch. He molted and went into hiding. He
ate the shell he had just shed while in hiding. He would sit for
hours in the aquarium plants with one claw out of the water, I suppose
waiting for something edible to light on the claw. After many
attempts he finally escaped the aquarium and was found dead days later
in the corner of another room.

I wouldn't put them in my pond because they eat anything they can
catch and they dig. I suspect they might do damage to a liner. You
would rarely, if ever, see them and they would probably leave.

Regards,

Hal