Old 02-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Tony Volk

Default Question for T. Barr (or whomever else feels like answering!)

Hi Tom. In my last reply to you regarding algae advice (under the old
thread algae control poll), you said:

"Try adding proper CO2 levels and keeping that stable.
Do some weekly 50% water changes.

Dose good CO2 and nutrients levels and you will none have these
problems and much better plant growth as a result.
Staghorn and BBA are both red algae, but they are quite different
genera in most respects and their cause for blooming is also different.
Regards,
Tom Barr"

I have three further questions if you don't mind:

1- With 1.5 WPG (80W/55g), will extra CO2 make a significant difference? My
impression was that growth at this light level was primarily light-limited.
I have Java Ferns, Hornwort, assorted Vals (most gigantica), and some swords
(don't yet know sp.). Ph is around 7, kH 5.
2- Do I need to dose nutrients as per your typical recommendations (I've
been reading a lot of posts on the different aquatic plant forums and your
own page), and if not, why the large water changes? I have a high fish
load, including a 10-11" pleco (nature's biggest fertilizer producer!), so I
should have plenty of nutrients (even if I only feed once every 1-1/2 to 2
days).
3- Finally, could you elaborate on how Staghorn and BBA (or their genera)
are similar (same family?), yet different, and what their different causes
are?
I respect the respect you get around the 'net, so I don't mean to
challenge your knowledge. I just truly want to understand the problem and
the solutions so that I'm not just blindly following a formula. Thanks very
much,

Tony