Old 02-02-2005, 09:57 PM
Timothy

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 15:04:13 -0600, Jay wrote:

I have a big oak tree in my backyard. The lawn(bermuda) around the tree
is struggling though I have been making extra effeort on that area in
the last years. So I am having this idea of get rid of the grass abound
the tree root and create a raised bed there to plant some shade-like
plants. After some internet search, I found that it is not recommended
because it may do harm to the tree. It is suggested just put mulch
lightly around the tree root. But that looks a little dull and I really
want to make it nice-looking. Any good suggestions? Thanks.

Jay

Good day Jay. How big will this bed be? I'm assuming that this bed will be
of good size. If you can keep this bed less than 3 inches deep, you
*should* be able to get away with it. (*Your mileage may vary). Also see
if you can limit the length of the bed to minimize the covering of the
root zone. And lastly, keep the new top soil and multch away from the
tree's trunk.

I've been called to deal with this issue once.The tree was a large 80+
foot cedar and the lawn was just gone. I overlayed 1 to 3 inchs of top
soil around the base of the tree. I graded the soil in small mounds that
were streched out in teardrop shapes in a large circle around the tree's
base. This bed was ten feet in length and about 30 feet in
circumference?... Can't remember now. Just remember it was large. I used 4
maybe 5 yards of soil. Customer had me plant native plant. Wild bleeding
hearts, trillium, one goats beard, deer ferns and wild ginger. It really
fires off well in the spring but by summer I'm laying a yard or two of
finely ground fir bark. I lay it right over the bleeding hearts and
trilliums that have faded to the ground. Easy clean up 80)

Good luck.
-
Yard Works Gardening Co.
http://www.ywgc.com