Old 03-02-2005, 12:01 AM
John Bachman

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 15:04:13 -0600, "Jay" wrote:

I have a big oak tree in my backyard. The lawn(bermuda) around the tree is
struggling though I have been making extra effeort on that area in the last
years. So I am having this idea of get rid of the grass abound the tree root
and create a raised bed there to plant some shade-like plants. After some
internet search, I found that it is not recommended because it may do harm
to the tree. It is suggested just put mulch lightly around the tree root.
But that looks a little dull and I really want to make it nice-looking. Any
good suggestions? Thanks.

Jay

Hi Jay,

The problem with mulch (or any other organic material including soil)
around the trunk is that the tree may girdle itself by running a root
runner around it's own trunk. That can be fatal.

So, you can put a raised bed around the tree if you include a
protective ring in the middle that keeps the mulch/soil off the tree
trunk.

If it is a large oak as you describe there is no problem with burying
the roots near the trunk, staying away from the trunk as above, just
don't bury the ones at the drip line as they are the nutrient seeking
roots and need to be near the surface.

Good luck.

John