Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Tex John

http://tinyurl.com/5k4db here's one in this group not by me.

And like I said last year when we had this conversation, I will repeat these
comments because I was given them on good advice from this group, from
rec.gardens and from the 'experts' at Home Depot...and none of them
worked -- including the Round Up concentrate applied straight as suggested
by the plant girl at Home Depot.

Not so much the Privet/Ligustrums, but at that time a neighbor's cigar tree
had infested half my back yard so my kids couldn't play barefoot for the
pencil-thick sticks after you mowed and no grass would grow because you
couldn't water it enough and we were already under water rationing. I tried
everything, but started with buttermilk which is supposed to help make the
trunk rot. Well, on these things, you cut them down but they aren't actually
dead...so they don't rot.

If I can pass on my rather bad experiences and get ONE person to NOT try the
things that were suggested to me and either just rent a grinder or burn the
stumps out with charcoal, I'll keep it up. But you really don't need to
remind me I was wrong year after year in multiple news groups :/

And don't expect a grinder to work on a Ligustrum either. If it has live
suckers, it'll just pop back up next week a few feet over.

I've been working in a wetland on Clear Creek in Houston and a smaller
leafed Ligustrum (looks like Yaupon but isn't) has actually weeded the
Yaupon out on an old homesite. The native oak and elm seedlings and saplings
get weeded out by a bush! No different than allowing Chinese Tallows to take
over an old field pouring millions of seeds into the watershed to wash up
between a yard in Austin and an old rice patty in Houston. Of course all
noxious-list plants should be cut down, but all too often, that just ain't
enough.

John

"escape" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:49:25 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

"escape" wrote in message
.. .

You doused the soil with motor oil, glysophate and burning charcoal.

In
your
case, the ligustrums may have been better to keep.

Yup...tho was less than a quart of oil all total.

All suggestions were from either this list or the plant people at Home

Depot
:)

Don't forget the buttermilk...

John

I doubt anyone here told you to use motor oil on soil.