Old 03-02-2005, 02:54 AM
alice

"Lar" wrote in message
t...
In article ,
says...
I have a big oak tree in my backyard. The lawn(bermuda) around the
tree is
struggling though I have been making extra effeort on that area in the
last
years. So I am having this idea of get rid of the grass abound the
tree root
and create a raised bed there to plant some shade-like plants. After
some
internet search, I found that it is not recommended because it may do
harm
to the tree. It is suggested just put mulch lightly around the tree
root.
But that looks a little dull and I really want to make it
nice-looking. Any
good suggestions? Thanks.

It's easy enough to lay out a border then use ground covers like Asian
Jasmine, English Ivy or Mondo grass assuming it will grow where you are
at. Here is a couple of pics of Ivy and mondo grass.

http://www.arrow-pestcontrol.com/j.htm
--
Lar

or ajuga, pachasandra, violets, sedum, vinca