Old 03-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Ozdude

"Margolis" wrote in message
wrote in message
ups.com...
pH controllers seem to be a waste of money for added complexity.

apparently you have never used one. They do not add extra complexity.
They
make things 1000% percent easier and you know what your ph and co2 levels
are on a constant basis. Without the controller your ph will fluctuate as
will your co2 concentrations. Trying to get the bubble count "just right"
without a controller is much more complex and time consuming.

I can vouch for this:

My pH has risen to 7.4 today, after being 6.9 two days ago, and it came from
7.8 to start with two weeks ago, and will doubtless be less than 7.4 in the
morning when I measure again - the cause of these fluctuations? DIY CO2. I
am almost gob-smacked at how quickly it rises if your bottles start running
down - this is why a counter (at least) is necessary IMO.

I hope nobody in my tank is suffering osmotic shock - I did see a red gill
or two this evening and my ammonia is 0 ;(

Oz

--
My Aquatic web Blog is at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ivan.smith