Old 03-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Rob Halgren

jadel wrote:
I just acquired my first Stanhopea, (S. grandiflora, though I
understand that name is obsolete) and I want to move it to a basket to
allow it to bloom.

I'm thinking of using a cedar slat basket or an arrangement using a
wire basket lined with coarse plastic netting. I would use coarse
diatomite or bark in either one. What do others in the group use? The
plant is large, and I think slab mounting might be impractical.

J. Del Col

Actually I've been using the large coconut chips (straight, although I
suppose i could mix it with very large charcoal). Only have one
stanhopea, but I've switched some similar plants into baskets. My goal
is anything that would have to go into bigger than an 8" pot goes into a
basket. That is a lot of baskets - waiting on a new batch.

Depending on the basket, with the large coconut I don't really need any
liner. In smaller baskets (4-6") I use a liner and a smaller mix (my
usual coconut mix with charcoal and perlite 2:1:1). Obviously with a
stanhopea you want whatever you use as a liner to be quite open (window
screen is right out).

Does it work? Not sure yet. Basket culture is pretty idiot proof
though, it is really hard to overwater and if you have enough humidity
it is hard to underwater them too.

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

LittlefrogFarm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )