Old 03-02-2005, 05:12 PM
Rob Halgren

Bob Walsh wrote:
jadel,

Where are you keeping or planning to keep it?

I tried lining a basket with newspaper and moss and then putting coco husk
in it. Nearly killed a large assidensis. It is now in recovery in a 6"
plastic basket planted in straight NZ Moss. I still have to water it every
second or third day.

It is in a 70 degree quite humid room (60 to 70%)

Bob

Bob,
I'm sure you are more skilled at growing stanhopeas than I, so I have a
few questions. With the coconut, did you nearly kill it by
overwatering? Underwatering? Something else? I'm just thinking that
maybe the newspaper made the basket too 'waterproof' so to speak.
Harder to dry out without direct access to air. This is why the
straight moss might be working better. Perhaps (and this is a perhaps)
coconut minus the newspaper would have been less lethal.

I've been staying away from NZ moss in baskets because I'm concerned
about the moss breaking down. One of the benefits of the baskets (the
main benefit, as far as I'm concerned) is that plants can stay in them
forever (or put the basket in a bigger basket when it needs it).
Coconut, rock, charcoal, all of those things I don't mind leaving around
my roots forever. Maybe sphagnum lasts a bit longer in baskets
(probably does).

I may be boarding a bunch of stanhopeas soon, so if the coconut is
instant death I'd really like to avoid it.

Thanks

Rob

2a) See rule 1
orchids, obtain more credit

Littlefrog Farm - Growing the plants Rob likes. )