Old 03-02-2005, 04:49 PM
George

"colin s" wrote in message
Hi can anyone tell me how to clean and prevent the rocks on and around my
cascade going green.The pond is only 6 months old I have stopped the water
flowing over the cascade during winter but would like to clean it up before
the spring.I have a few fish in the pond which are doing well as I have kept
filter on.

Thanks

Colin.

Unless it gets a real heavy growth, or turns into string algae, I wouldn't worry
about it too much. The algae is actually beneficial to the pond. There's not a
lot you can do about it anyway unless you want to clean it all the time. The
algae growth is due to nutrients in the water. The only thing you can do
(besides reducing your bioload) is to add aquazyme (or something similar) to
help increase beneficial bacteria and reduce the nutrient load, or clean it when
it gets overgrown. Addiing more plants might also help, and occasional partial
water changes can also help, but remember that tap water usually contains
nutrients as well, so water changes can sometimes actually make matters worse in
the short-term.