Old 03-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Deborah P." wrote in message
Whilst eating a fig back in November I suddenly decided to plant some of
the seeds. I stuck them in a freezer bag of seed compost, put them on a
window sill and forgot about them. I now have about 20 to 30 seedlings.
What do I do now? Are they worth growing on, or are figs like many other
fruits and best left to experts in their earlier stages?

I did the same thing with dates at Christmas. I now have some stones
with sort of tap roots - these I have planted into small pots, some in
plastic bags, some not. Are they worth carrying on with?

Thank you in advance

Deborah

The figs will make good foliage plants but unless you are lucky the fruit
size will be small.

The dates make lovely palms, there are several outdoors down here as well as
the hardier Phoenix canariensis both eventually make huge trees, but they
are attractive container plants.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk