Old 04-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Hal

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 15:27:13 GMT, "colin s"
wrote:

Hi can anyone tell me how to clean and prevent the rocks on and around my
cascade going green.The pond is only 6 months old I have stopped the water
flowing over the cascade during winter but would like to clean it up before
the spring.I have a few fish in the pond which are doing well as I have kept
filter on.

I use hydrogen peroxide on a sponge to clean a clear tube I use in my
pond. I've heard others say a handful of salt kills the algae on
their falls, but it grows back again.

Algae that grows on the stones of a waterway like a stream or
waterfall, and the sides and bottom of the pond are quite beneficial
to the pond ecosystem. Some of them feed directly on ammonia without
it being converted and one of those ingredients found in the more
expensive koi foods to enhance color is one of these algae. I
wouldn't kill it unless it becomes a real nasty problem.

I kept my filter on too, pity it isn't very effective at temperatures
below about 50*F and my water temp is about 40 today.

Regards,

Hal