Old 04-02-2005, 03:17 PM

jadel wrote:
I just acquired my first Stanhopea, (S. grandiflora, though I
understand that name is obsolete) and I want to move it to a basket

allow it to bloom.

I like to use the wire baskets that you can buy at Lowes, Home despot,
etc. The fibrous coco liner that comes with them is probably too dense
for Stanhopea inflorescences to punch through, so I line them with
decorative sheet moss instead. Then I stuff the basket with long fiber
sphagnum and perhaps a little aliflor or charcoal. It works very well
with Coryanthes and the few Stanhopea species that I've tried. The
sheet moss holds in the mix but allows inflorescneces to grow through.
It looks "natural," too.

Nick