Old 04-02-2005, 02:08 PM
Dave Poole

On 3 Feb 2005 19:22:12 -0800, "marasol"
wrote:

I had my gardener plant perennials in my garden last week. They were
about seven. Once finished,I asked him what he did with the containers
the plants came in, he told me he had planted the flowers in theirs
containers.

I think you might be well advised to look at his credentials a bit
carefully. It seems as though you may be allowing someone who hasn't
got much of an idea about plants and their requirements to run amok in
your garden.

There is some justification in the 'pot-planting' of temporary plants
which are there to give an effect for just a couple of months
(primroses/polys etc) if they are to be moved after flowering.
However, nearly all perennials need to get their roots out into the
surrounding soil and many will give poor results or even die unless
allowed to do so.

Certain perennials are tolerant of being container grown, but even
these need decent sized containers in which they can establish. The
pots they come in are far too small for permanency.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November