Old 04-02-2005, 09:06 PM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Feb 2005 at 13:43, wrote:

As a relative newbie (mainly a lurker on the site) of a little over a year
into this addictive hobby, I have two questions.
My hubby just brought home 2 miniature azaleas. I know there are certain
times to root prune and replant. Am I too late....south Florida, zone 10.
They were only labeled as miniature azaleas - specific variety not listed. They
are in lovely bloom...one double fuchsia and one single pink with white
edges on the petals.

Generally, you pot azaleas after they have finished blooming.
First, though, remove the entire flower, including the calyx &
pistal, so they won't try to make seed.

Problem two - I seem to have thriving colonies of mealy bugs. They have not
made all plants their home, but have invaded some Mexican petunias (in the
ground, not bonsai) and another shrub that are planted near the trees. I
brought a Brazilian Rain Tree a couple of months ago from a bonsaist who, due to
health reasons was selling his plants. I found that tree was infested. Used
the soap solution and thought the problem was solved. When I discovered
this other infestation, I checked it carefully and found one or two and it has
been sprayed and seems clean. Is there anything other than the soap solution
to use? How often can I repeat the spraying. I seem to remember a week.
Can the amount of alcohol added to the mix be increased? If so, how much?

Soap, applied weekly, will *control* mealybugs. The alcohol is
added, usually, when using the soap to kill scale. It isn't
needed for mealybugs. For mealybugs, it's best to purchase
Safers soap spray, as it has been formulated correctly.

A spray containing pyrethrins (only!) will do the job a bit
better. Also weekly (but for fewer weeks).

Jim Lewis -
- This economy is a wholly
owned subsidiary of the environment. - Gaylord Nelson

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++