Old 05-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Newt wrote:

Gary Wrote:
I've had a hard time getting my moonflower seed to germinate. Any
suggestions?

Best to nick the seed and soak overnight before planting.

http://floridata.com/ref/i/ipom_alb.cfm

This is Ipomoea alba a.k.a. Calonyction aculeatum a.k.a. Ipomoea
bona-nox?

I nick them first, soak them overnight in a weak bleach solution,
and germinate them on kitchen roll dampened with that solution
in a small pot covered with cling film. The key is that they need
warm, humid conditions until they have their cotyledons open, but
are very prone to rotting if they get too wet or too cold, will not
manage to break the hard seed if too dry and don't like it too hot!

So I plant then as soon as a root starts to develop, and take care
until they get to that stage. Once they have got their cotyledons
open, they are rarely much trouble (except for red spider mite).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.