Old 05-02-2005, 04:30 PM
steve

Wow, lots of stuff. Can I paraphrase for my benefit?

High fish load tanks:
Method 1 - A tremendous amount of plants are required to keep up with
the waste production or algae grows. High light levels and C02 are
used to enable the plants to consume all of the nutrients/waste. Have
your pruning shears handy.

Method 2 - Massive water changes (50% twice weekly) to remove the
waste. Many or few plants can be used with low light and no C02.
Ample growth, no pruning required.

Low fish load tanks:
Method 1 - Heavily planted tanks with high light levels and C02 require
daily/weekly doses of nutrients to enable the plants to grow profusely.
Algae is kept at bay because the environment is perfect for growing
plants and there are no nutrients left for the algae to gain a
foothold.

Method 2 - With low light levels and no C02, slow growing plants can be
kept healthy and a balance reached where the fish waste is just enough
for the plants. This is a true low maintaince tank. Minimal water
changes required.

Is that about it? It's taken me quite a while to really understand all
the variables. I had to find my niche, where I was with my tanks, and
what method was going to work for me. A combo of high fish load, high
light levels and sparse plants with minimal water changes did NOT work!

steve