Old 06-02-2005, 01:18 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 05 Feb 2005 14:23:56 GMT, Anthropy wrote:

Please help.
We have a pond, about 3 x 4 x 4 (feet). We've had it for about 5 years
and everything was great. It contains about 40 goldfish but recently
they have begun dying. The dead ones are small and appear to be a
silvery \gold type colour.
We don't do anything to the pond other than feed the fish and clear
off the leaves and stuff off the surface and until now all has been
fine. We haven't changed the food nor put anything in the water. The
bigger fish seem to be OK but 5 have died in the last week.
There is no residue or anything usual about the pond. The fish are a
bit slow but that is just the cold (It's winter here England,
Brighton)
Could it be something to do with the fluctuating temperature we're
experiencing this winter?
Please, if you can help or recommend anything we'd be most grateful.
Thanks.

It could be a number of things. Taking a couple water sample to be
tested begins troubleshooting the problem. Fish can be very sensitive
to many substances such as paint, adhesives, pesticides, detergents,
etc. which are seemingly non-toxic to humans. If anything, changing
the water or moving the fish to a temporary tank might save them.

Goldfish can tolerate cold water well, but can be traumatized with
fast temperature changes. Have you always had 40 fish in about 350
gallons? "Do not exceed one inch of goldfish to one gallon of water,"
or in your case all of your goldfish can be up to 8.75" and your
capacity is reached.

Please let us know how the goldfish are doing.