Old 06-02-2005, 02:26 AM
steve

Ozdude wrote:
I should also add that getting the fish feeding in balance is also
important. It seems to me excess food is a major cause of chemical

imbalance in a planted tank (phosphates I think).

Oz

Yes, that's what my major problem has been too. I was feeding all they
could eat in five minutes (less time actually). That's what we've been
preached, right? Well in just 3 minutes my angels and neons had full
balloon bellies! That's alot of food gunna get turned into
nutrients/waste. My tap water has a trace of phosphate and my tank on
a normal day had 5-10 ppm phosphates. Now, with the plants I do have
going full guns with 30ppm C02, I'm finally able to use up all the fish
food. Just this afternoon I had 5ppm nitrates and just 2ppm P04. So
tomorrow I'm going for a 50% water change, and then add a small amount
of KNO3 and KCI (potassium). I'll measure the P04 and add just a touch
if it measures none. I'm starting to grow plants!!!!!!

http://www.geocities.com/erviservy/plantsFeb3a.jpg

steve