Old 06-02-2005, 03:50 AM
Steve

blackorchid wrote:
Hia, I'm doing a reserch project on black pepper (Piper nigrum) for my
uni course. i was just wondering whether anyone has ever germinated
peppercorms? i know in commercial cultivation the plants are grown from
fresh seed, but can they survive dessication, being shipped half-way
around the world and sitting on supermarket shelves for months? I have
just planted some, and will let you know how they do (if there is any
interest) but i doubt that they will be growing before my deadline...
any comments welcome! Thanks, Alex

Sounds interesting. It never occurred to me to try to grow a peppercorn.
I have no idea how they are prepared. I suppose they are just dried and
not heated or anything. I think they are actually a dried fruit with
seeds inside. Now I wish I had some in the house so I could crack one
open and see what's inside.

Steve