Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 AM
Joanne & Ned

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I agree with the rest about it not being slugs, grasshoppers maybe? There
is a spray aw Wal-Marts that is designed to be used on your edible produce
that does wonders on cabbage lopers. I bet it would work in your
application also.

My favorite for slugs is diatamatious earth (SP). It is safe to use
anywhere, and is sometimes fed to pets to rid them of worms. It is a
little pricy and will have to be reapplied after a rain, but it is
immediately effective.

Dwayne

"Joanne & Ned" wrote in message
news
Should I use slug/snail bait or is there an alternative? The asparagus
bed is a few years established, but this is my first year here. I see
spears starting out - but then they get chewed off so I'm assuming slugs.

Joanne

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions! So far, there are slugs
present, but I don't see them actually on the asparagus, don't see the slime
either. Did see a few sow bugs and something similar to (maybe a juvenile?)
an earwig running away from the flashlight. Will keep looking. Haven't
seen any grasshoppers yet, too early in the season for them, I think. We
usually have enough around.

Joanne