Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 PM
JulioF

Thanks, Victoria. :-)

Yes, more WalMarts is what this country needs. More of their discrimination
against women (limited career opportunities) and questionable hiring
practices. But enough of that - off topic.

I'm very sorry to hear that your neighborhood flora is being bulldozed.
Perhaps the best thing to do is send a flyer to all of your neighbors
pointing out the damage, and encouraging them to avoid shopping there. That
won't bring back the nature, but it may eventually bring back the bulldozers
to level an unused building.

An article in the Statesman just yesterday pointed out that trimming Oaks
now is a no-no due to the increased risk of Oak Wilt, as stated in my first
message here. I suppose it's too much to ask that qualified
horticulturists/arborists be retained, with project influence and veto
power, by the local governments in order to preserve the very charm and
allure which has been responsible for the increases in population in this
portion of the country.

I wonder what it would take to incorporate a new city, with leadership which
was respectful of the environment? Let's build those malls and megastores
on the outskirts of town in the most barren areas, with minimal destruction
of the native landscape. And build a small light rail or bus system for
easy access. Ah! Dreaming again...

Have a great week!
JulioF...

"Don't it always seem to go - that you don't know what you've got 'til it's
gone? They've paved paradise... put up a parking lot."