Old 06-02-2005, 07:36 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Deborah P." wrote in message
Whilst eating a fig back in November I suddenly decided to plant some of
the seeds. I stuck them in a freezer bag of seed compost, put them on a
window sill and forgot about them. I now have about 20 to 30 seedlings.
What do I do now? Are they worth growing on, or are figs like many other
fruits and best left to experts in their earlier stages?

snip

Always worth planting up and growing on just for the interest.

Be aware that the fig trees you get will depend on the variety of the tree
which grew the fruit and the variety which pollinated the fruit (assuming
they were not self-fertile).

The resulting variety may not be a good cropper in the UK.

The down side is that if you want to see if they produce decent fruit you
may have to wait several years to find out.

AFAIK most figs are pretty hardy so you should be able to grow them on
easily.

You do have a potential problem in what to do with the 19-29 seedlings you
don't want as mature trees (unless you have a very large garden).

Just pot them on as you would with any other seedling.

They should grow outside O.K. - my Brown Turkey stays out all year in a pot
and seeems to thrive on it.
I am in coastal Suffolk so people further north may not have as much luck,
but ISTR the tree I had in Derbyshire grew O.K. (but didn't fruit).

Can you remember what kind of fig it was (perhaps just a supermarket fig of
unnamed brand)?

Best of luck
Dave R