Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 PM
Eric

To the good advice already given, I'd add only water as much as
necessary. Too much water, keeping a lawn wet, promotes disease and
fungus which can kill grass. I'd start the watering so that it ends
by about 8am or so. That minimizes loss to evaporation, but allows the
lawn to dry out soon too.

For grass, IMO, the new fine blade, slower growing, tall fescues
should be very good for your area. I reseeded my lawn here in NJ with
a combo of duster tall fescue and blue grass this past fall. I grew a
test sample of duster indoors, and it grows much slower than a typica
tall fescue, like the Rebel varities, for example. I had tall fescue
previously that performed well, except during periods of peak growth,
it needed to be cut about every 4-5 days, which was a pain.

This spring, I'll see how well it comes out, but so far, it looks
pretty good. There's lots of good info on grass seed at seedland.com

Whatever i choose I'd very much like it to crowd out weeds and moss. Here
in the NW moss is a terrible problem, it will even grow on your car if your
not careful, the seams around my car door handle are green by spring. The
grass up here needs a lot of water, its grown for so long in this wet
climate it just needs it. In the summer its quite dry so if you don't water
your lawn will just role over and die (I speak from experience)
I'll check out seedlan.com
Thanks
Eric