Old 07-02-2005, 12:41 AM
Warren

Nehmo Sergheyev wrote:
- Travis -
Do you mean you are going to put a couple of feet of soil on top of

the
ground where the tree is planted? That will kill the tree for sure.

- Nehmo -
Yes, that's what's going to happen. I didn't know it would kill the
tree. Are you sure? Why would it?

If it's deep enough, and/or covers enough of the root area, you'll
essentially suffocate the tree. There also could be other problems with
bare soil stacked against the trunk.

Just as the article you linked to earlier noted that stem girdling roots
can be more of a problem with certain types of trees, those other
factors will affect different types of trees to a different extent as
well.

It's usually possible to create some kind of raised bed near a tree. How
much area it covers, and how deep it can be depends on a lot of
variables. What you seem to be describing sounds to be more than nearly
any tree could tolerate. If you need to change the grade that much, you
might as well count on loosing the tree.

You may want to consult with an arborist not just to confirm what's
being said here, but to possibly offer alternative suggestions for
whatever it is that you're ultimately trying to accomplish.

--
Warren H.

to go outside now.
Compare the newest tax preparation software apps:
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/taxes/index.html