Old 06-02-2005, 07:40 PM
Newt

Wrote:
Thanks a lot for all responses. I am going to start seeds now.
I also have doubts about quality of the soil in my garden. I've just
found out that it mostly sand. I'm thinking now about how to improve
soil without spending too much money. The topsoil that stores sell in
the plastic bags is too expensive to cover all garden area. It is more
practical to do it by adding compost but it will take some time. What
else can be done?
Thanks,
Genya.

Hi Genya,

The best way to build up your soil and improve the tilth (condition) is
with organic material. You don't need to purchase topsoil. If you add
finished compost you don't have to wait to plant. Bagged compost would
probably be less expensive then bagged top soil, and if you have a large
area to cover you could purchase the compost in bulk to be delivered to
you, which is even less expensive then bagged. If that isn't to your
liking, you could do lasagna beds (also called sheet composting or
interbay mulch) that should be ready by the time you are ready to put
out your veggies. Basically is involves building a compost pile in
layers where you want to plant. You don't even have to turn it into
the soil, but could plant your transplants directly intoit. This
should be helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/22hp5
http://tinyurl.com/37rht

For more info on improving your soil take a look here.
http://tinyurl.com/69rfy
http://tinyurl.com/5s8xh

Newt

--