Old 07-02-2005, 06:10 AM
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
I have a cherry tree with a three inch (≈ mm) trunk, and I want to
landscape the ground upward around the trunk a couple of feet (≈ 60

cm).

I just learned about Stem Griddling Roots (SGR)
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib...es/DD7501.html
videos
http://www.righttreerightplace.com/planting/howTo.asp#

Although this isn't a tree fresh from the nursery, raising the ground
level may give the roots an opportunity for SGR. Are there some
precautions I should take? Should I surround the trunk with something?
If so what could it be? It would have to accommodate the trunk growth
yet prevent the roots from encroaching.

Oops, it's Stem Girdling Roots (SGR or SGRs). You see, hard to believe,
but even *I* make errors.

--
* Nehmo Sergheyev *