Old 07-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Ozdude

"Richard Santink" wrote in message

I recently experimented with DIY CO2 reactors.. although I was pleased
with the numbers, it seemed to cloud my water a bit, and I noticed an
odour.

I am reasonable sure that no sugar/water/yeast solution made its way
into my tank directly, but, are there any side effects of the yeast
method? Were the clouding and odour just symptomatic of something else?

The odour (I think) is the alcohol by-product of the fermenting yeast.

I too get a slight clouding when my mixtures are new and a thin white skin
thing on some of the rubber and suckers in the tank. I've read about this
white by-product on various how-to's and discussions about yeast generator
systems. According to all of these things I've read, there is no cause for
concern about the white stuff, it's apparently harmless and no-one seems to
know what it actually is. I have my own theories that it's a form of benign
bacteria from the carbonic acid, but apart from that I find the slight
milkiness in the water goes after about 4 or 5 days, when the mixture
settles down into it's middle period.

I have since removed and discarded the contents of the reactors until I
can figure out what went wrong..

Sounds normal to me, to be honest. I house my bottles in a sealed bucket and
only ever smell the smell when I change or agitate the bottles (about every
two days).

Oz