Old 07-02-2005, 10:06 AM
sahara

Default quarry fines

Ok. This question is related to an article that appeared in kitchen
garden a few months ago, i think there was something on radio 4 about
it recently too. Some people have been doing research into using
quarry fines to replenish soil mineral resources. I think the idea is
that combined with compost the result will be a more lasting and
robust soil as well as producing vegetables with greater mineral
content.
And i have an allotment with a very clay soil which is about a foot
lower that the neighbouring plot. As you can imagine it is currently
looking like a bit like a very muddy swimming pool.
So i am planning to add as much material as i can over the next few
months and years. Obviously i want to keep costs down and am looking
at the best option for the best price. I am considering using quarry
fines but have no idea about how to go around buying the stuff.
I was also wondering about using building sand, community compost,
tons of manure, sharp sand?? Would i be in any danger of polluting the
plot with any of these??
Any comments are welcome either on the whole using of quarry fines
issue or advice on what i can add to my lotty to make the soil all
nice and high.
sarah a