Old 07-02-2005, 05:10 PM

FarmerDill wrote:
Sweet potatoes are quite unlike Irish potatoes. They are members of

the morning
glory family. They need a relatively long season but otherwise are

very easy to
grow. Most varieties are vining or semi -vining plants so they take

up some
space. Sweet potatoes are modified roots not tubers like an Irish

potato, The
easiest way to grow them is from slips (plants). If you just want a

few you can
start your own by half submerging a sweet potato root end down in a

jar of
water, placed in a warm sunny spot. Lots of folks use them as house

plants this
way. About two weeks after last frost last frost set the plants 12

-16 inches
apart on mounded ridges (lists) about 4 feet apart. It helps to hill

them up as
the vines start to spread out. They are tropical perennials so they

will grow
until frost. Dig just before frost and spread them out to cure in a

warm dry
place. They will not tolerate cold. Store in place that stays above

50 degrees
Fahrenheit until ready to use.

I love baked sweet potatoes. Is it hard to grow these? I have never
gron them before. I have grown regular potaos before. DO they grow

like
them? Into a bush that you pull up when they are ready to harvest?

How do you know they are ready to dig up?