Old 07-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Lt. Kizhe Catson

Gary wrote:
I've always had good luck with the bubblers. (I run two off of one air
pump, so it keeps a couple of small holes open). Occasionally they do
freeze over, so I just pour a teakettle-full of hot water over it to
reopen the hole - or (very gently) tap with a stick on the ice to break
it up around the bubbler hole. Don't bang on the ice, though, or your
fish will have concussions.

I use a propane weed-burner to drill the hole open when needed. Only
problem is the torch doesn't always want to stay lit when it's -20degC.

This winter, it hasn't been a problem at all. No ice on the pond!

No problem this week -- we're having a thaw, and the hole is now about
1/3 of the pond.

As for the PJ's, well, I doubt that the neighbors would appreciate mine
(or lack thereof!)