Old 07-02-2005, 05:11 PM

Unfortunately last link does not work but rest are Great links! Thank
you Newt! I like the idea to use lasagna beds. I have plenty tree
leaves on the ground that I can use as compost for these beds. I think
it will work.

Genya

Newt wrote:
Hi Genya,

The best way to build up your soil and improve the tilth (condition)

is
with organic material. You don't need to purchase topsoil. If you

add
finished compost you don't have to wait to plant. Bagged compost

would
probably be less expensive then bagged top soil, and if you have a

large
area to cover you could purchase the compost in bulk to be delivered

you, which is even less expensive then bagged. If that isn't to your
liking, you could do lasagna beds (also called sheet composting or
interbay mulch) that should be ready by the time you are ready to put
out your veggies. Basically is involves building a compost pile in
layers where you want to plant. You don't even have to turn it into
the soil, but could plant your transplants directly intoit. This
should be helpful.
http://tinyurl.com/22hp5
http://tinyurl.com/37rht

For more info on improving your soil take a look here.
http://tinyurl.com/69rfy
http://tinyurl.com/5s8xh

Newt

--